Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bikram Yoga: an EF workout

When practicing Evolutionary Fitness, the most important thing is to keep your body guessing, and to avoid settling into a rut. I try to switch up my weights workouts as much as possible, but felt like I wanted to add something totally new to my routine. I was inspired by a friend to try out a new approach to exercise: Bikram Yoga.

Yes, this is the "hot" yoga" that crazy people always tell you about. I was skeptical, but thought what the heck, I might as well get out of my comfort zone and try something totally new. Here's how it went...



We (Chris and I) walk in, and the lobby is full of tranquility and peacefulness and all that good stuff. It's pretty inviting, and not too scary yet. We purchased a 30 day pass for $30 so we will give it a try for a whole month, so we won't wuss out after one class.

We take off our shoes, and walk into the pre-heated 105 degree room, and tip toe over to a free space. Roll out our mats, set our towels down, and we're ready to go. People around us are meditating, breathing deeply, and one guy was even sleeping.



Class begins, and we start our breathing exercises. Easy, right? Not so much, it's actually difficult to breathe as deeply as they say. The hardest part for me was to clear my mind. To quit thinking about the orders I have coming up for Monday, where I'm going to see the fireworks tonight, what kind of omelet I will make for breakfast...

Then the poses begin. Again, they look so easy, but what you don't realize is how much you must engage every little muscle in your body to stabilize. Add to that the extreme humidity of 50 people in a 105 degree room, let's just say the sweat was pouring !

90 minutes later... I feel amazing! Soaking wet, but amazing. My muscles are relaxed, my head is completely clear, and I feel as if my body has been cleansed of impurities.

So now I am one of those crazy people that condones the torture that is Bikram's. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to add a new dimension to their workouts. Keep your body guessing, and don't settle into a rut!

No comments:

Post a Comment