Monday, May 11, 2009

Travel Like a Caveman (or at least do your best)




San Diego will always hold a special place in my heart- I went to USD for 4 years, I met Chris there (when he hired me for a catering job), plus our good friends Charlie and Melissa live down there. So when I saw $44 flights advertised, we decided to take a spontaneous trip for the weekend. The weather was beautiful, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to eat well. Here are my Caveman travel tips:

  • Eat breakfast in (if you have access to a kitchen): if you go out to breakfast, you will overpay. Breakfast is the cheapest thing in the world to make, yet any good breakfast joint will charge you over $10/plate


  • Cook for friends: If you're staying with friends, plan a night to cook for them. Cooking is entertaining and fun when you get friends involved. You can control what foods you eat, and save some money


  • Avoid airport food: Yesterday at noon I found myself stranded at the airport, waiting for my delayed flight, so I decided to get some food to help pass the time. Bad idea! Twelve bucks later, and I have a chicken and ham sandwich on ciabatta, (I admit I ate half of it) plus a chocolate chip cookie (which tasted good, but I instantly regretted!)


  • Exercise: EF is great, because you can always do interval sprints. You can also switch up your workout a bit with some squats, pushups, tricep dips, situps, etc. Be creative!



San Diego was just what we needed- a couple of days to de-stress, recharge, and get ready for a busy week! Only a few bad food choices later, and I'm now on my way to getting back into Caveman shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment